Saturday, January 3, 2015

Synchronous vs Asynchronous


Asynchronous Learning is when students can work online at their own pace and in their own time.  The teacher is a facilitator, but the teacher does not have to be online at the exact time students are.  In other words, teachers can post information and have students engage in the material when they need.

Current asynchronous learning methods include but not limited to are email, mailing lists, online discussion boards, wikis, blogs, SMS texting.  My current use of Edmodo (or Schoology) would also be considered asynchronous learning method.


See Youtube Video for more information:




Synchronous Learning refers to teachers and students engaging simultaneously via the web.  This type of interaction happens in real-time.  Examples of synchronous learning are Adobe Connect or GoToMeeting.  Video Conferencing, instant messaging, telephone and/or Skype classrooms are also synchronous learning methods.

Currently, I use Google Hangouts with my AP English Language students when one of their blogs is due.  Students receive a blog assignment two weeks before it is due.  I will offer any last minute help via Google Hangouts.  I like Google Hangouts because it is free and easy to use.  Another synchronous learning activity that I have offered is when I bring in professionals to talk to my students.  My first professional learning activity invited an attorney via FaceTime to talk with students about her career as an attorney.  

Here is a copy of my tweet to show professional learning via FaceTime.



No comments:

Post a Comment