Thursday, January 1, 2015

Ideal Digital Learning Community (DLC)



A DLC is like a discussion/sharing forum that is 24/7; it is always available and always on!  For students, this is actually quite overwhelming because they are never really using their social medias for concentrated bouts of time.  Many of the resources students use are for brainless, fun activities.  So, my first advice is to limit the number of DLCs as to not overwhelm students.  And, I would find a DLC that is actually user friendly and incorporate that DLC in my daily work.  For instance, I use Edmodo as a DLC because its features resemble "Facebook," something students are quite familiar.  And, I promote the use of Edmodo on iPhones and Android devices.  And, I am constantly referencing it and referring to it as a means to communicate with students.  Because of my classroom promotions, students learn to value it.  In order to really promote a DLC, it needs to be something "shared" between the students and teacher.  The only way I can get better utilizing it is to use it daily (i.e., post word for the day, classroom tips/specials, study guides, etc.).

Another feature of a DLC is that it must be free and accessible.  Free is a must because many students do not see their education as an investment, and they think that anything related to school should be Free (even though we know there is a price for everything).  I also look for DLCs that make apps for both Android and iPhone devices.  Even though there are some great apps for the iPad, every student doesn't have one.

Finally, does the DLC do what I need it to do?  That is a question only I, the teacher, can answer, and I can only answer it once I have plotted my goals for the semester or the year.  Some DLCs, especially the free ones, may be limited.  So, I have to choose the best platform for my instructional goals.  I also read reviews, particularly instructional technologists' reviews when deciding on a DLC.  If I used one DLC one year, I may change and try something new.  It all depends on my instructional needs.



No comments:

Post a Comment