Monday, January 5, 2015

Definitions of Communications

  • How have your individual communication skills changed as with the innovations in technology?
  • How have advancements in technology altered classroom communication? Will these change further?
Response to Turkle’s “Connected: But Alone?”

I spend quite a bit of time connected to my iPad and my phone.  However, unlike many people, I do know how to turn them off!  When I go to work, I put my Samsung Galaxy 4 on Airplane Mode, and I close my iPad.  Both are locked away in a drawer.  I don't need either to disrupt the lessons I have planned for my students.  However, my students don't.  In fact, they are so plugged in that they are no longer cognizant that their behavior is rude and intrusive to their learning environment.  I am not against technology; in fact, I am one of the few teachers that probably use it prolifically.  And, I am constantly checking information when I am at home.  But, I still love intimate friendships and conversations.  It's just that most of my friends already have partners, live partners.  I don't have one, so technology has become, more or less, a way to feel the void.  But, I still reach out to my friends.  And whenever time permits, I avail myself to their company.

I am a great typer.  And, I text in full sentences.  I like to use complete sentences even in my emails, texting, postings, etc.  Technology has also made me more conscientious of voice.  There are some bloggers and writers that I love reading.  I can "hear" the words on the screen, or I can hear the words in my mind.  I am actually quite envious because I want my writing and blogging to sound authentic, engaging.  And, technology has made me more aware of what I say.  As I look for other job opportunities, I try to stay on top of my digital citizenship.  Sometimes, this makes me hesitant.

I teach in an urban, inner-city location.  Many people feel that because my students are Black and come from lower socio-economic backgrounds, bad manners is simply the norm.  I don't buy that.  I try to use technology to show students that I value it, and I have learned not to lose my cool because students miss 80% of what I teach because they would rather text and play music on their phone.  I have had to learn to let go because it is their education.  Some days, I try to re-direct, but that takes quite a bit of energy, and it wastes time.  If I spend time disciplining, I am losing time teaching.  So, Sherry Turkle is correct in saying that we have "short change[d] communication" for the illusion of connection.  My students are thinking they are learning, when in actuality, they learn less.  Eventually that check is going to come due, and students in my AP class are paying it now rather than later.

When we use an electronic device in the classroom, most students will engage.  But, it is short lived.  They quickly go back to doing whatever it is they were doing.  I do communicate using Edmodo; students receive text messages and/or emails.  Students know they have a direct line of contact with me.  I also have Edmodo on my phone, iPad, email, etc.  I purchased a smart phone many years ago just so I can stay connected to students and answer questions when necessary.  Administrators like to see the usage of technology, and many advocate that if you don't use it, you won't reach students.  At some point, when do we hold students accountable for their own actions?  Students must also learn to log off.  But again, I can and do.  My practice is better for it, theirs is not.  Will it get worse?  Yes.  Will urban, inner-city minority students continue to fall behind?  Yes.  Who will pay the price?  Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment