Saturday, January 3, 2015

Reflections on a Recorded Session - Synchronous Learning

Recording a synchronous learning session is quite challenging.   Being the only one present in the session, it is really hard to determine what problems truly avail themselves.  You have no one to speak to, so you don't know if it is difficult to hear.  You also don't know how loud or how soft to speak.

Another issue I have had with creating a synchronous learning session is that students are not actually tech savvy enough to follow through most of the time.  I use Google Hangouts, and all students have access to Google Hangouts, but they may not know how to actually join the session, even after I have provided step-by-step instructions.  Following directions is not my students' strong suit.

Traditionally when I complete a session, I do a "screen share," where visitors of the session can see my screen.  If my hair is wild, or I am in pajamas, I often don't want students to actually "see" me.  So, this means I have to be mindful of what I look like and what I am doing.  I also have to mindful of the environment (i.e., what background noises can visitors hear, what conversations in the background can they hear).

One of the best parts of using Google Hangouts for a live session is that Google will convert the session into a YouTube video.  This video allows students to playback the session if necessary, and you can embed the video in your website or LMS platform.

Finally, I am simply not comfortable enough doing a recorded synchronous learning session.  I don't do them often enough, so I am not smooth with it.  As much as I use Google, I just don't have the smoothness I would like.  It takes time and lots of practice!

I have done live discussion board sessions where I can type and post responses to questions.  This is how I offered office hours when I taught post-secondary.  I like this one better, but I think the video conferencing is more advantageous to students.  I type fast, but many students do not.  I also recommend that teachers plan the concepts they want to teach when preparing for a synchronous meeting.

Copy of my synchronous video on YouTube teaching the rhetorical analysis:



No comments:

Post a Comment