Sunday, January 11, 2015

Digital Feedback

Using the examples above as a point of reference, locate three digital resources that could be utilized when evaluating student work and discuss in your blog how these resources would enhance the level of specific feedback offered to students.

I have used Evernote as a note resource for years, but I just learned that I can record feedback notes for students.  I love Evernote because it syncs with all devices---Android and IOS.  And, it is free!  And, Evernote will keep the resource or note for as long as you want it.  I am thinking that maybe I can upload a student's assignment and begin the voice notes immediately.  And, since Evernote is on all my devices, I can do it anytime and anywhere which is a much needed convenience for me!  Did I mention that it was FREE???!!!



I use Google Docs for just about everything, and I spend a great deal of time teaching students how to use Google Docs because it automatically saves and syncs across all devices.  And, I love the sharing aspect of Google because I can see student's work in chunks and pieces and provide them timely feedback for specific problems.  I already knew that Google Docs had the option of adding voice notes when used in conjunction with another app, but I have never used it.  Now that I know this resource, I will attempt to use it in the future.


Google Docs is also great for peer feedback.  Currently, I have a Google Group for my AP English Language class, and they are required to give feedback to one student before midnight once every two weeks.  We "blog" about multiple readings from the rhetorical analysis of the AP exams.  The only warning I have for this is that students tend to play it safe when it comes to feedback; they are afraid of hurting each others' feelings, so their responses are typically plastic, superficial.  Students have to be trained in order to give appropriate feedback.  Google Docs also has a sharing component that allows easier feedback via online.  I  use that when I teach the research paper!


All these resources are free and accessible to anyone with online access.  And, what I love about it is that the teacher nor the student needs extra equipment to execute these resources.  I would suggest that the teacher purchases a microphone because speakers on small laptops are not always the best.  I have several Chromebooks, and when I speak without a microphone, it sounds muddled.  I purchased a nice microphone headset on Amazon for about $24.  

I would also let students know up font in class that these are the methods I would incorporate for feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment